12 May Church of S.Giovanni Battista
CHURCH OF S.GIOVANNI BATTISTA
THE MOTHER CHURCH OF VARENNA
◇ CULTURE ◇
ON LARIO’S BANKS
San Giovanni Battista is one of the oldest churches in the lake and is the mother church of Varenna.
It dates back to the 11th century and contains 16th-century frescoes that decorate the apse and the triumphal arch.
On the wall facing south, proceeding from west to east, you can see the traces of three depictions of Saints: Christopher with the little Jesus, George on horseback and John the Baptist. On the northern wall, there is a large Epiphany.
In the church of San Giovanni Battista, there is also an altarpiece triptych depicting: in the centre the Madonna and Child, on the right S. Giorgio and the left San Martino Vescovo.
The Romanesque bell tower, as was custom in ancient times, is built facing the lake. The bells are those of 1730 donated by the noble Serponti.
The church is always open.
Parrocchia di San Giorgio
T +39 0341 830228